Hillary and Mandie's Part.
45. Land owners let Small Farmers liveon a piece of land and gave them food, and supplies to afarm. The Farmers grew the crops and they shared int he profit. (510)
46. The Share cropping system still leaves room for the master to continuously putting the *black* farmers in debt. (510)
47. I cant decipher her sarcasm. = mindth3gap7 (8:18:21 PM): Ok so it's disenfranchised black civil right by forcing them back into slavery. mindth3gap7 (8:18:52 PM): IT was a sharecropper system but they had no rights to the land and there for the owners created outrageous debts.
48. adoption of sir names: Mr. and Mrs.; allowance to worship ; fought to find family. Education = Freedom comes about. (497-481)
49. Ben Wade; until his impeachment was dissmissed "not guilty" and johnson was the leader again. (495)
50. good general would make a good president. His efforts to perserve the union & was well rewarded for popularity - radicals wanted more reconstruction (502)
51. with many ill-rot deeds and corruption going on in 1872, he lead a year of disgust. liberal rep. party urged purification of washington, also wanted an end to military reconstruction. he was re-elected. (502)
52. A) a scam to monopolize the railroad building industry - shared w/ congressto avoid ruin. ( 504)
B) 1874-1875 robbed treaury of millions in excise tax revenues - Grants own cabinet ( 504)
C) 1876 sec. of war William Belknap forced to resign after pocketing bribes from suppliers of indian reservations. (504)
53. capatilist expansion, too many businesses- saturated market and couldnt pay back loans or debts. many went bankrupt. ( 506)
54. Green money not specie - theory reasoned that more money ment cheaper money and easier debt payment, but it just made the prices of goods rise, and creditors would not except the depreciatd money.
55. the crditors wanted the actual value not a depreciated value. The nation does not profit from inflation. (506)
56. made the greenback money face level withits worth in gold. The creditors we paye dback the full cost of the loan, and not a depreciated value. (506)
57. Green back labor party, 14 members in congress.. made money unstable (back and forth) for a long time. (506)
58. by allowung congress to fight their battles for them.
59. A) 1867 - purchase of alaska from russia promise of furs oil and gold. it cost 7.2 mil.
B) helped work to over come the corruption of Grant Administration.
60. too many years of depression, deflation, panic of 1877- people were tired of the reconstruction. The north didnt want the southern black to come there and compete with jobs, so they wanted them to stay int he south to help it grow. They also wanted representation int he south to continue to keep a mostly northern republican gov.
61. all white companies oftent ime sfollowing boss tweeds example up north. (492)
62. KKK - the invisible empire
63. 1866 - founded mainly to scare away blacks - became violent and was a new way to slaughter and protest black rights.
64. congress was able to stamp out much of the lash law, but the clan had already achieved its goal. Many still operated under diff. guises. (497)
65. radicals became more involved with Johnson and th economic downfall. (495)
66. The inflation created an exhaustion of the money supply, so there wa slittle left to invest in reconstruction. Loans were difficult to repay and even harder to get. (506)
67. Another form of cast backlash that showed the wealthy deserving and the poor southerly destitute. (542)
68. deadlock due to the mutual feelings ont he crisis, each had a hearty following. The electorial count that allowed 15 men from each branch to decide.
69. the republicans gave loose their hold ont he south for peace.
70. a loss to civil rights advocation in the gov.
71. an econmoic downfall caused difficulty in finding variousimprovementts. Political stalemates slowed change and the soth's natural resistance.
72. democratic supreamacy, industrialization of south, ascent of redemer party; any sidestep from rep. party ment democrats got a strong hold.
73.loose political coalition of pre-war democrats, whigs, confederate vets., all were industrializing the south as well as undergoing changes brought by reconstruction.
74. 1879-1883 small multi-rcial groups led by senator mahoney, inspired by the opposition of washington.
75. largly disliekd and harrassed, continued to fight for equal leverage in gov.
76. In contrast tot he antebellum period of precivil war, the south industrialized and became part of the modern economy.
77. witht he convience of inventions brought about by industrialization and a melioration of finances, farming became ferile and abundant.
I'll post the rest tomorrow.